Wednesday 7 November 2012

Must find more time for the plants.

The clocks changing, trips to visit the in-laws, decorating, and being busy at work mean that I'm not spending any time in the garden at the moment. This is particularly frustrating as my other final treat of the year turned up in the form some staging for the greenhouse.


I am planning on making most of the staging for the planned final greenhouse, but thought it wouldn't hurt to have one little bit set up for this winter.  It looks sadly underused at the moment which is partly due to not having time to move the plants in.  As the greenhouse is unheated and has large gaps, it is more of a rain shelter than anything else, but that is fine for me, as these plants were pretty much the left overs or those that were planted in the dry bed until we moved.


It feels a bit strange to have all this space and not to have to cram everything in on top of each other. It almost looks like I don't have that many plants, maybe I need to buy some more after all. It definitely makes placing the cacti a lot easier!


The top has become a little echeveria nursery and assuming there are no problems this winter they should get a really good start to the year here. 


Next to go in are all the big agaves and the yuccas that I am re-rotting after being dug up.  Even with all the space something tells me that is still going a painful process.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, there does appear to be a lot of space there. How about a Lithops or two? No spikes though, although patterns, colours & blooms are stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had space for Lithops, they seem to be one of the best close up plants. No doub once I have the final greenhouse setup and know space one or wo may slip in.

      Delete
  2. That's the danger, isn't it...the more space we have...the more we fill it with ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. I think my OH is planning of filling it with Veg come spring to stop me buying more plants.

      Delete
  3. You should buy more plants! It's good for the economy and helps the horticulture industry. Because Her Highness employs so many in that industry we could also say that she is a supporter of same. Therefore, it would be downright un patriotic not to collect enough new plants to fill your new greenhouse! What could your OH be thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try that one, but I'm not sure she is going to fall for it.

      Delete