Monday 22 October 2012

A new photo spot

It is probably particular to collectors who have most of their plants in pots, but when I'm photographing pots I tend to move them to the same spot for the photo, unless they are too big to move that is. At the last house this was either on the table in the garden, for a more "I'm an actual gardener" feel. I was more trying to convince myself than anyone else.


Or if the photo was for my records then I would get out a bit of black card and put the plant on that in the hope of getting a better photo.  I love the way that I actual believe placing a bit of card behind the plant is going to improve my photographic skills.


So new house, the card seems to have got lost in the move, and I am having to experiment with a new spot. The table has moved with us, but the background is messy. Having built my cold frame it seemed a simple place to use for a start (although I may have to paint the wall one colour instead of the two tone it currently is).


I quite like the effect you get form the polycarb sheeting when taken from above, you can just make out plants in the cold frame.


A better photographer than me could probably produce some very creative shots of plants through the polycarb. I really should invest in a proper camera and maybe even do a course to improve my photography skills.  I am always very jealous when I see the amazing photos on other blogs, one that stood out for me recently was Rhone Street Gardens, post on Wind Dancer gardens. Mind you I could just as easily have selected countless other blogs which regularly feature amazing photos.  In the mean time, maybe I should just be less lazy and dig out the light tent my OH made last year, it definitely helped when trying to photograph this echeveria cante flower.


I guess I will have to continue experimenting until I find somewhere I like.

11 comments:

  1. Your photo's look fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a tease; that last photo of the echeveria cante flower is superb! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, It shows how simple things, in this case a light tent, make a big difference to almost any photo

      Delete
  3. Yes your photos (and the plants!) look good! Settling well into your new home, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again. Yes the house is starting to feel more like home as we work out were everything goes etc.

      Delete
  4. Your photos always look great and no matter the background, that agave (aurea?) looks good enough to eat. I love the golden yellow color of that one! Glad that you're settling in nicely. Any luck convincing your wife that a lovely greenhouse would be better than a new kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on the name, the central stripe is medio-picta and then the white version which is what you see more commonly is alba, the yellow version is often called aurea. It has really grown on me and I think I now like it even more than the white version. It really glows and if I can keep the snails off it, stands out in a group of pots.
      Sadly my OH still is under the misconception that furniture and a kitchen are higher priorities than a greenhouse. Although there is exciting news so watch out for the next post.

      Delete
    2. Oh and carpets or flooring apparently.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shout-out ! I always think your photos are great...and I appreciate the "solo" shot of your plants...it gives a good idea of their form. I really like your use of the polycarb...the light it produces is so wonderfully diffused :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I liked the polycarb look as well. I have a few bits left so I may build a little light box out of it to place the plants in to photograph and see how that works.

      I read an article on the glass verses polycarb for greenhouses and one of the things they were saying about the polycarb was that it defuses the light, so while the light at the edge is not as bright compared to glass, overall you get a more even light through the whole greenhouse.

      Delete